It’s the Holiday Season in Hamtramck. Christmas Trees and lights look beautiful, but also present an increased fire risk that can turn the season of celebrations into a nightmare. It’s important to remember fire safety all year around – especially during the holidays!
- 43% of Christmas tree fires are caused by lighting or electrical issues.
- If you have a live or “real” Christmas tree – water it every day!
- Make sure your Christmas tree is at least 3 feet away from a heat source.
- Christmas, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day are the biggest days for candle fires. (More about candle safety here).
- Follow manufacturer’s guidelines and inspect lights before hanging decorative lights.
- Turn off these lights before going to bed or when leaving your home.
- Space heaters should be used cautiously! These are meant as temporary heating and should never be used with an extension cord.
- Never run an extension cord under a rug and make sure to use quality cords.
- Make sure your smoke detector is working – test it regularly!
The Hamtramck Firefighters wish you and yours a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year and safe Holiday Season!
Printable .pdf file available here.