SCHOOL TRAFFIC SAFETY
There are an average of 134 people killed every year in school related traffic crashes. More school-aged kids are killed between 7:00-8:00 AM and 3:00-4:00 PM than any other hours of the day – almost half of those killed were between the ages of 8-13 years old.
• SLOW DOWN!
• always yield to pedestrians – always use extreme caution, especially in school zones
• never pass a school bus on the right
• never block a crosswalk
• don’t double park
• obey all traffic signals and signs
• obey school bus lights – yellow indicates it is preparing to stop, red indicates it is stopped and children are loading or unloading and you must stop and do not pass until the lights are off
• don’t block intersections, fire lanes (never block the driveway in front of a firehouse!!)
• the area 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous
• don’t drive distracted! do not use your phone or eat while driving
• teach your kids how to walk to school safely – use crosswalks and how to cross the street properly
full, high resolution printable pdf: school traffic safety