Clothes Dryer Safety
Almost 3,000 home fires per year are caused by clothes dryers, resulting in $35 million in damages. The leading cause of these fires is a failure to properly clean and maintain them. Proper maintenance and attention to lint filters are important to maintain a safe home.
- Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove the lint that has collected around the drum.
- Make sure a air exhaust vent pipe is installed and not restricted. Clean this vent pipe on a regular basis.
- Make sure to use the right plug and outlet.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Do not overload your dryer.
- Turn the dryer off if you leave or go to bed.
- Make sure that your home has proper smoke detector installations.