Congratulations to Hamtramck Firefighter Nicholas Mancina on being named Firefighter of the year! Nick has been with the Hamtramck Fire Department since January 2006, he is also currently serving on the Hamtramck Firefighters IAFF Local 750 Executive Board as 1st Vice President and supervises our “Coffee Fund.”
The Firefighter of the Year and other honorees are sponsored by the Hamtramck Community Initiative (HCI) – whose mission is to revitalize neighborhoods, reduce crime and build community capacity through civic and community engagement. HCI started as federal “WEED & SEED” project in 2006 and today we continue to serve as a resource for block clubs, as a fiscal agent for community minded groups and home of the Citizen Patrol.
Nick and others will be recognized at the Annual HCI Spring Fling Annual Community Awards Event on May 20th at the PNA Hall. Tickets are $25, dinner at 6:30 with Community Awards at 7:30. (Facebook event page).
Congratulations to all those receiving Community Awards:
· Hamtramck Police Department Officer of the Year: Investigator Dennis Janowicz
· Hamtramck Reserve Officer of the Year: Pawel Machowski
· HPD Civilian Employee of the Year: Amela Catic
· Hamtramck Fire Department Firefighter of the Year: Nicholas Mancina
· Business of the Year: Hamtramck Drugs
· Organization of the Year: Popps Packing
· Resident of the Year: Chris Wilinski
· Community Service Project of the Year: Hands-On Hamtramck and the Guerilla Road Repair — Leader of both: Jeff Salazar
· Janet L. Akins 36 years of employee service, 31st District