What is now the Hamtramck Fire Department was organized on November 16, 1914 when rules and regulations were established and Martin Bishop was appointed Fire Chief. We were located in a 2-car garage on the property of the Detroit Lumber Company on Berres Street – eventually relocating to the grounds of Briggs Manufacturing and finally to Firehouse no. 1 on Jos. Campau and Grayling (where the flag pole still stands). Hamtramck’s growth necessitated a second firehouse – and Firehouse no. 2 was completed in 1918 and still serves as our headquarters and home. (after two significant expansions).
Throughout our 100 years, the Hamtramck Fire Department has seen many changes – not only to our department, but to the community we serve. One thing that has not changed is our high degree of commitment to excellence and service to the people of Hamtramck. As it has always been and always will be, the members of the Hamtramck Fire Department are PROUD TO SERVE.
Congratulations to all those that have served – we look forward to our next century of service to great community of Hamtramck! STO LAT!