- Plan two ways out of your home in event of emergency.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
- Clear your sidewalk and porch of snow.
- Keep fire hydrants clear of snow! If there’s a fire hydrant near your home, take a few minutes to shovel around it – there should be at least three feet of clearance around it.
- Check on your neighbors – especially the elderly!
- If your heat goes out, dress in extra layers of clothing.
- Drive slowly in the snow and ice. It takes longer to stop and turn!
- When shoveling snow, push it rather than lift. When you must lift, lift with your legs.
- Use safety precautions when using space heaters listed here! Remember, your stove or oven is not a safe alternate home heating source.
Remember: we’re open 24/7 – in case of emergency call 911!
Download a high resolution printable copy here.